Get to Know Aegagropila linnaei: A Unique Aquarium Plant
Aegagropila linnaei, also known as Marimo Moss Balls, is a unique and visually pleasing type of aquarium plant that can provide an interesting and natural habitat for fish. Marimo moss balls are made of a filamentous green algae, and they grow and form into a round, softball-like shape.
Marimo moss balls are extremely popular with aquarists since they are low maintenance, easy to care for, and can provide a great environment for aquarium fish. Not only do they look great and provide a great habitat for fish, but they also help to keep the aquarium water clean and clear.
Benefits of Aegagropila linnaei
Aegagropila linnaei can provide many benefits for your aquarium. Here are a few:
- Removal of Nitrates: Marimo moss balls are known to absorb nitrates from the water, which helps to keep the water clean and clear.
- Filtration: Marimo moss balls can act as a biological filtration system, trapping debris and keeping the water clean.
- Aesthetic: Marimo moss balls are visually pleasing and can add a unique and natural look to your aquarium.
Aegagropila linnaei is the only species of plant that is believed to have originated in Japan!
Nutrients of Aegagropila linnaei
|Nitrogen||0.6 – 0.7 %|
|Carbon||0.9 – 1.1 %|
|Phosphorus||0.02 – 0.03 %|
|Potassium||0.1 – 0.2 %|
Fish Types That Prefer These Plants
Aegagropila linnaei is a great choice for many fish types, including:
- Shrimp: Shrimp love these moss balls, as they provide a great shelter and hiding spot.
- Mollies: Mollies love to graze on the algae that grows on the moss balls.
- Gouramis: Gouramis love to explore the dense foliage and hide in the moss balls.
- Corydoras: Corydoras like to dwell in the dense foliage and enjoy foraging for food.